OverDrive API Partners,
OverDrive Periodicals are now available for fulfillment via the OverDrive APIs!
Documentation about how periodicals work in the OverDrive APIs is available on the Developer Portal. You may have already seen this new and exciting content show up in MARC records and in the OverDrive Search and Metadata API responses. Now the format (periodicals-nook) will also be returned in the responses so that your integration can fulfill them through the OverDrive Circulation APIs.
Here’s a brief guide for getting started with periodicals in the OverDrive APIs:
- Periodicals are fulfilled, downloaded, and enjoyed in partnership with Barnes & Noble, through NOOK tablets and/or the free NOOK reading app (available on all major mobile platforms).
- The format identifier for periodicals is periodicals-nook.
- First-time users will be asked to sign up for or sign in with a free NOOK account and grant OverDrive the ability to add magazines and newspapers to their NOOK account. This is a one-time process.
- After a user links their NOOK account with their library card (through OverDrive), they can send (the latest issues of) periodicals to their NOOK account in one easy step.*
- You can review documentation and watch a help video to learn how OverDrive library websites handle NOOK periodicals.
- We’ve updated the API Reference Guide to include the new NOOK format (including the format ID used by the APIs and best practices).
- We’ve updated the Download API page to include periodicals and how to request a "download” for them.
*You will need to create new NOOK accounts or use existing NOOK accounts for testing your integration. Developer/test NOOK accounts are not available from Barnes & Noble.
Additionally, we’ve enabled periodicals and added several of them to the OverDrive API Integration Library (ID 4425) for testing purposes.
Thanks for your continued partnership.
-The OverDrive API Team